No one has put a quart of nutella ice cream on the shelf at the grocery store yet, so i had to take matters into my own hands and make this Nutella recipe myself. Nutella is all the rage right now, and it is well deserved.This chocolate and hazelnut butter spread is one of the best things I’ve ever tasted, and I’ll argue that the combo is even better than chocolate and peanut butter. I started thinking about new favors I wanted to try, and this one hit me; it had to be good. it’s got fat, its got sweet, it’s smooth, it melts well,all things you look for in an ice cream ingredient. The taste is out of this world; it’s light chocolate with the beautiful, nutty undertones of the hazelnuts. the salt really brings out the depth of the flavored in this recipe, after making it both ways I wouldn’t make it without it. You may notice that the sugar is cut down from a typical sweet cream base by 1/4 cup- the Nutella is sweetened so we have to account for that. If you like chocolate, nutella, hazelnuts or peanut butter, this is a must try recipe!
Nutella Recipe- Homemade Ice Cream
1 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
1/2 cup Nutella
1.1/2 cup Whole milk
1 Tsp Vanilla
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar, divided into 1/4 cups
Pinch of salt (course sea salt if available)
Want to watch a video of the instructions? Here you go!
1. Add milk and 1/4 cup sugar to a medium sauce pan over medium low heat. Whisk to combine.
2. In a glass bowl, whisk 4 egg yolks until lemony in color, then slowly add in the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar while whisking.
3. Once you see the first simmer bubble in the pan, remove from heat and slowly add 1/2 cup of the heated liquid to the egg mixture while whisking briskly to temper the eggs.
4. Scrape the tempered egg mixture back into the heated milk, whisking while you add it. Return the pan to medium low heat.
5. Add 1/2 cup of Nutella to the pan, and stir to combine. The mixture is done when a candy thermometer reaches 170 degrees, or when the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon. Continue to stir until heated.
6. While mixture is heating, add 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, 1tsp vanilla and pinch of salt to the container you will be cooling your mix in. Place this bowl in an ice bath, and place a fine strainer over the container.
7. When the mixture reaches 170 degrees, remove from heat and pour through strainer. Lightly stir mixture in the strainer until all liquid has passed through. Cover container and allow to rest for 15 minutes in the ice bath before transferring to the fridge for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
8. Churn according to your machine’s instructions, place in a freezer proof container and place in the freezer for at least 4 hours to ripen.
I LOVE Nutella recipes, so if you’ve got any great Nutella recipes – ice cream or otherwise, feel free to post them in the comments!